Monday, October 22, 2012

Reflecting on the GAME Plan


Reflecting on the GAME Plan 
The game plan I developed and followed through this course helped me to solidify my Lego Mindstorm Robot Building and Programming unit for seventh graders.  Dr. Cennamo states that authentic instruction is based on active learning (Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P., 2009).  By following the game plan using building activities, blogging and social networking, I was able to provide a common thread of the robot experience with several technologies. Using this new instructional practice helped the students take ownership of the entire three part process. This was a real breakthrough for me because usually I go day by day with a variety of programs in computer applications class. However, by planning three units which included problem solving, blogging and social networking, my students were able to share their experiences with each other and with students in other classes. This sharing of information opened the borders of my classroom. It also initiated the use of Web 2.0 tools into my curriculum.
According to Dr. Cennamo, plans for self-directed learning include a goal, actions to achieve the goal, monitoring the actions and evaluating the results of your actions (Laureate Education Inc., Producer., 2010b). 
As I evaluated my results, I did notice that I need to revise my plan when students are absent too much. I noticed that partnering students has many benefits and it was essential in the building and programming portion of the problem solving. However, some problems with pairing students are bound to come up such as attendance and compatibility. When this occurs, a diplomatic adjustment among the students is the best solution, so I need to apply flexibility when the situation warrants change.
I have learned that problem solving lesson plans need three to four class periods. Rushing the students to meet a class bell schedule does not produce the best results. Comparing, critical thinking and discussion are integral parts when using technology in the content area.  Finally, I learned that planning to use technology in the classroom needs to center on core standards that students must master. Developing a unit GAME plan for integrating technology to master common core standards it a goal of our district, and this class has refined lesson plan building to satisfy these goals.   

References:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer) (2010b). Program 2: Promoting creative thinking with technology [DVD] Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment